|Image from wallpaperstock.net|
A few things to note about this schedule:
- We spend a lot of time meeting with clients during the day
- That means we have to do a lot of our work at night
- Even though we own our workstreams, we get a lot of help from the client, team, experts, and McKinsey leadership
HOW UNDERSTANDING THIS SCHEDULE CAN HELP YOUMy hope is that by understanding how McKinsey consultants are accustomed to working during the day, you'll gain better insight into how you can improve your relationship with them. Here's how I think this can help depending on your relationship to the McKinsey person:
- Direct report: this might be why your McKinsey boss seems so demanding. They're used to their teams working long hours and being highly productive throughout the day. If they're too intense in a culture that normally isn't, they might appreciate and benefit from some upward feedback.
- Supervisor: the former McKinsey consultant on your team is accustomed to an intense lifestyle. This means they can accomplish a lot at a high level of quality. But, they left consulting for a reason so be careful about pushing them too hard.
- Personal: this is why the McKinsey consultant in your life is always tired, has to cancel plans, constantly checking their blackberry, and usually stressed out. There aren't enough hours in the day so if you can, cut them some slack.